Marriage Certificate
Reminder:  Marriage certificates are recorded only in the county where the marriage takes place.  In order to obtain a certified copy, it is necessary to contact the Register of Deeds office in the county of which the marriage occurs.

There are three ways to request a copy of a marriage certificate: by mail, credit card or in person. 

Mail requests to: Register of Deeds
PO Box 133
Portage WI 53901

Use the application form (a PDF file) to request a copy of a marriage certificate. Please enclose a self-addressed, stamped, business-sized envelope, the necessary fees (see below) and a photocopy of the applicant's current ID (see below). Upon receipt in our office, mailed requests are generally completed in 1-5 working days. Mail your request to: Register of Deeds, PO Box 133, Portage WI 53901

In-person requests may be made at the Register of Deeds Office. It is located at the Columbia County Courthouse, 400 DeWitt St. in Portage. The office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. A current ID is required when applying in-person. You may wish to complete the application form (a PDF file) before you visit our office. Credit card requests: To request a marriage certificate on-line click on order by credit card. (You will leave the Register of Deeds site and be taken to VitalChek to request the marriage certificate.)   Please note that there is an additional $10 fee assessed, even if the record is not found, when requesting a marriage certificate on-line with a credit card.

Fees: The fee for the first copy of any marriage certificate is $20.00. Additional copies of the same record, ordered at the same time, are $3.00 each. Therefore, two copies of the same record would be $23.00. NO PERSONAL CHECKS. Please send money order payable to Register of Deeds 

All forms of identification must show your current name and address.  Expired cards or documents will not be accepted. The acceptable forms of identification are:

One of these:
Wisconsin driver's license.
Wisconsin photo I.D. card,
Out-of-state driver's license or photo I.D. card.
Two of these: At least one of these must show your name and address.
U.S. Government-issued employee I.D. card or badge with photograph.
Check book or bank statement.
Health insurance card.
Current, dated lease signed by you.
Bill addressed to you.
Traffic ticket.
Paycheck or earnings statement.
State Law restricts who may obtain a certified copy of a marriage certificate.  Please review the criteria for obtaining a marriage certificate if you have questions.