Military Discharge

To get your DD-214 military discharge document recorded, or if you cannot locate your DD-214 military discharge document, contact the Veterans Service Office at 608-742-9618, or

To record a certified copy of your DD-214 military discharge document, or get a certified copy of your DD-214, which was recorded earlier with the Columbia County Register of Deeds, contact  the Columbia County Veteran's Service at 608-742-9618 or  The staff there will verify your status as a veteran and prepare a request for a certified copy. Present the request form to the Register of Deeds staff, and they will prepare the certified copy free of charge.

Veterans are encouraged to take their military discharge papers (DD-214) to the local Register of Deeds for recording. Military discharge papers are valuable to veterans because they may be required to prove eligibility for certain benefits and programs. The Register of Deeds will copy and index the document, and give the original back to the veteran. DD-214's are confidential documents in the State of Wisconsin. They cannot be viewed or released to anyone other than the veteran without the expressed written permission of the veteran. An exception would be in the case of a deceased veteran, where the next of kin would be entitled to the document.