Avian Influenza / Chicken Flu has been confirmed in Columbia County
To report a suspected disease, contact DATCP's Division of Animal Health by:
o Email: email@example.com
o Phone: (608) 224-4872, Monday-Friday, 7:45 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
o Evenings & weekends: (800) 943-0003. Say you are reporting a potential animal disease.
To report suspected illness caused by close contact with an infected bird, dead bird, or surfaces contaminated by them contact local health department:
o Columbia County Division of Health at (608) 742-9227.
Symptoms in birds and humans:
- Poultry are likely to appear sick when they are infected with bird flu.
- Infected birds shed bird flu viruses in their saliva, mucous and feces. Human infections with bird flu viruses are rare, but they can happen when virus gets into a person’s eyes, nose, or mouth, or is inhaled.
- Because human infections with these bird flu viruses are possible, all people with direct or close exposure to infected birds, infected flocks or contaminated surfaces should be monitored for illness for 10 days after their last exposure.
- Monitor your health for symptoms of avian influenza virus infection.
During and then immediately after your last exposure to infected birds or contaminated surfaces, monitor yourself daily for any of these signs and symptoms for 10 days:
Fever (Temperature of 100°F [37.8°C] or greater) or feeling feverish/chills*
Difficulty breathing/Shortness of breath
Eye tearing, redness, or irritation
Runny or stuffy nose
Muscle or body aches
- If you have symptoms, stay home and limit contact with others as much as possible until the results of your test are known. Your health department might have additional instructions for you as well.
It is safe to eat poultry that has been fully cooked. General precautions should always be taken when handling any raw meat, including raw eggs, to avoid possibly spreading germs.
Poultry Owners Flyer FINAL (wi.gov)
DATCP Home Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza in Wisconsin
Avian Influenza A Virus | Wisconsin Department of Health Services