Victim Witness

Victim Witness Information


If your testimony is required for any court proceeding, you will receive a subpoena in the mail or you will be served personally by an officer. You must appear for that hearing, unless otherwise notified by this office. You may choose to attend any of the court hearings in this case. It is important that you keep our office informed of any change of your address or phone number so that you can be notified promptly of any changes in the time or date of court proceedings.


As the victim of a crime, you have the right to make a written or verbal statement or both, to the Court. This statement, called a Crime Victim Impact Statement, can describe to the Court the impact (physical, psychological, and/or financial) this crime has had on you and your family.


Because you were the victim of a crime in which personal injury and/or property damage or loss may have been incurred, the Court may order the defendant to reimburse you for all or part of your expenses. Reimbursement for your expenses is called restitution. If you do have expenses, you must itemize those expenses on the restitution form. If possible, you should attach legible copies of replacement or repair bills and/or estimates of damage or loss. If your claim is for lost wages, you must submit proof of that from your employer. You should be aware that if the defendant disputes the amount that you are claiming, you would be required to appear in Court to justify your claims.

PROPERTY: 1) Prepare an itemized list of your loss.
  2) Provide an estimate of cost of repair or replacement.
PERSONAL INJURY: 1) Submit an itemized list of all medical expenses.
  2) Provide proof of lost wages due to injury (statement from employer with total wage loss).

Alway provide copies of receipts, estimates, repair orders and medical bills.

INSURANCE: If you have insurance covering all or part of your loss, provide the name, address and phone number of the insurance company, claim number, the amount of your deductible and the amount the insurance company paid.

NO INSURANCE: You are responsible for paying your bills, but you then may be able to obtain reimbursement through Court-Ordered Restitution.


As a victim of a crime, you also have the right to speak with the District Attorney’s Office, regarding the outcome of this case and any possible plea agreement. If you wish to have input, please contact a Victim/Witness Coordinator to make a telephone or personal appointment with the district attorney assigned to your case.


The State of Wisconsin has a Crime Victim Compensation Program to reimburse victims of crime who lose wages or cannot pay medical expenses as a result of being a victim of a crime and who have no other means of paying these bills. THIS DOES NOT COVER PROPERTY LOSS. If you would like a brochure and application for this service, contact Victim/Witness Assistance at (608) 742-9834 or 742-9836.