• Graphic of WIC PG Mom
  • Graphic of WIC General Info
  • Graphic of WIC Health Kids

Wisconsin WIC

What is WIC

Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) nutrition program provides supplemental foods and nutrition education to help keep pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women, infants and children under five years of age healthy and strong.

To find out more, or to schedule an appointment call WIC at 608-742-9254.

WIC provides the following:

  1. Nutritional assessment and counseling
  2. Breastfeeding education and support
  3. Practical tips on food shopping, recipes, feeding your infant/child
  4. Friendly guidance on taking care of your baby
  5. Help with buying healthy foods 
  6. Lead screening for your child
  7. Referrals to doctors, dentists, and programs like Food Share, BadgerCare+, Healthy Beginnings+, Head Start, Nurse Family Partnership, and free immunization clinics.

WIC Brochure

You or Your Child May Qualify for WIC If:

  1. You are pregnant, just had a baby, or have an infant or child under five
  2. You meet income requirements.
  3. You are a Wisconsin resident

Income Guidelines: WIC income eligibility is based on 185% of the US Department of Health and Human Services Poverty Guidelines
  • WIC uses the same income guidelines as the reduced-price school lunch program
  • Many working families qualify
  • Individuals participating in other programs such as Medicaid, BadgerCare+, Wisconsin Works (W2), and FoodShare may also be eligible for WIC
  • WIC includes the unborn child(ren) in household count for pregnant women
  • Fathers, legal guardians, and foster parents may apply for WIC for their children

WIC Clinics

WIC clinics are held throughout Columbia County. Clinic times vary-call for information and an appointment at 608-742-9254.

Main Office Portage Department of Health & Human Services Building
Division of Health
111 East Mullett Street
PO Box 136
Portage, WI 53901
Satellite Clinics Columbus Columbus Fire Station
123 W. Harrison Street
Columbus, WI

Breastfeeding Support

Breastfeeding Educators

Breastfeeding Educators are available to help you with your breastfeeding needs and questions.  Our goal is to provide one-on-one instruction, support, and care before, during, and after childbirth to ensure a successful and rewarding breastfeeding experience for both mother and child.  Feel free to call Columbia County WIC at 608-742-9254 or Columbia County Division of Health at 608-742-9227 and ask for breastfeeding assistance. Or visit our Division of Health Web site page.


Breastfeeding Peer Counselors

Breastfeeding peer counselors are WIC mothers in the community with personal breastfeeding experience who provide information and support  mothers interested in breastfeeding.  They provide support and encouragement, help answer questions, and address common concerns breastfeeding mothers may have.  They may also refer to WIC breastfeeding educators for help for mothers with more difficult or complex breastfeeding problems.


WIC Forms

Click on the link below for WIC Forms

WIC Forms

Shopping for WIC Foods

Click on the link below for helpful tips on how to shop for WIC Foods

Shopping for WIC Foods

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form(link is external), (AD-3027) found online at: is external), and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

En Español

De conformidad con la Ley Federal de Derechos Civiles y los reglamentos y políticas de derechos civiles del Departamento de Agricultura de los EE. UU. (USDA, por sus siglas en inglés), se prohíbe que el USDA, sus agencias, oficinas, empleados e instituciones que participan o administran programas del USDA discriminen sobre la base de raza, color, nacionalidad, sexo, discapacidad, edad, o en represalia o venganza por actividades previas de derechos civiles en algún programa o actividad realizados o financiados por el USDA.

Las personas con discapacidades que necesiten medios alternativos para la comunicación de la información del programa (por ejemplo, sistema Braille, letras grandes, cintas de audio, lenguaje de señas americano, etc.), deben ponerse en contacto con la agencia (estatal o local) en la que solicitaron los beneficios. Las personas sordas, con dificultades de audición o discapacidades del habla pueden comunicarse con el USDA por medio del Federal Relay Service [Servicio Federal de Retransmisión] al (800) 877-8339. Además, la información del programa se puede proporcionar en otros idiomas.

Para presentar una denuncia de discriminación, complete el Formulario de Denuncia de Discriminación del Programa del USDA, (AD-3027) que está disponible en línea en: is external) y en cualquier oficina del USDA, o bien escriba una carta dirigida al USDA e incluya en la carta toda la información solicitada en el formulario. Para solicitar una copia del formulario de denuncia, llame al (866) 632-9992. Haga llegar su formulario lleno o carta al USDA por:

  1. correo: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  2. fax: (202) 690-7442; o
  3. correo electrónico:


Esta institución es un proveedor que ofrece igualdad de oportunidades.

Spanish Brochure