Domestic Partnership

Domestic Partnership

In order to obtain a certified copy, it is necessary to contact the Register of Deeds office in the county where the declaration is filed.

There are two ways to request a copy of a declaration of domestic partnership: by mail or in person.  

Mail requests to:

Register of Deeds
112 E Edgewater St.
Portage WI 53901

Use the application form (a PDF file) to request a copy of a declaration of domestic partnership. Please enclose a self-addressed, stamped, business-sized envelope, the necessary fees (see below) and a photocopy of the applicant's current ID (see below). Upon receipt in our office, mailed requests are generally completed in 1-5 working days. Mail your request to: Register of Deeds, 112 E Edgewater St., Portage WI 53901.

In-person requests may be made at the Register of Deeds Office. It is located at the Columbia County Administration Building, 112 E Edgewater St. in Portage. The office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. A current ID is required when applying in-person. You may wish to complete the application form (a PDF file) before you visit our office.


Fees: The fee for the first copy of any declaration of domestic partnership is $20.00. Additional copies of the same record are $3.00 each. In-person requests may be paid with cash, personal checks, money order, debit or credit card.  There is a fee to use a debit or credit card.  Please make personal check or money order payable to Register of Deeds.

All forms of identification must show your current name and address.  Expired cards or documents will not be accepted.  The acceptable forms of identification are:

One of these:
Wisconsin driver's license
Wisconsin photo I.D. card
Out-of-state driver's license or photo I.D. card
Two of these: At least one of these must show your name and address
U.S. Government-issued employee I.D. card or badge with photograph.
Check book or bank statement.
Health insurance card.
Current, dated lease signed by you.
Bill addressed to you.
Traffic ticket.
Paycheck or earnings statement.