Checklist for Preparation of Documents to be Recorded
- Your document format must conform to Wisconsin Act 110, Standard Document Format implemented September 1, 1996. Requirements include 3 by 3" blank space in upper right hand corner, minimum 1/2 inch margins at the top of each page, minimum 1/4 inch margins on sides and bottom of first page, white standard weight paper, black ink and no hinged pages.
- A return name and address must be entered on the document either under the recording area on the right or else on the upper left corner under the space for the document number.
- The document title, return address, party names and legal description must be legible and reproducible.
- Documents pertaining to real estate require the complete legal descriptions of the property.
- Original signatures are required.
- The document must refer to land within the county in which it is recorded.
- An electronic Wisconsin Real Estate Transfer receipt is required for conveyances.
- Multiple mortgage, assignments or satisfactions may not be placed on the same instrument.
- A notary's authentication and valid commission date are required.
- The correct recording fee is required. See register of deeds fee schedule.
Please note, the cut-off reception time for recording real estate documents will be 3:30 pm. Documents presented for recording after 3:30 pm will be recorded the next business day.
Please be advised that the Columbia County tract index begins January 1, 2006. When searching real estate documents before that date, you are required to search by Grantor/Grantee.